Sunday, November 4, 2012

What's In My Purse?

It's funny, before I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis I never carried a purse.  Now 10 years later the size of my purse is determined by the amount of medical supplies I need.  My purse was it's largest during my ostomy days when I had to have everything needed in case of an appliance change.  Now my purse is smaller, but still holds the keys to my health.

I am nicknamed the traveling pharmacy, and you can hear me coming from yards away by the sound of the pills in their containers as I walk.  Looking in my purse today I have 4 prescription bottles and a supplement.  So no wonder I sound like a tic-tac case when walking.  These medications include my antibiotic, pain medication, and two different types of muscle relaxers.  I also have Gas-X and Pepto Bismal for those moments that I need them.  At the bottom of my purse is my butt cream, Calmoseptine.  I never leave home without it.  It is the fire extinguisher for when my rear decides it's going to ignite.  There is also Burt's Bees lip balm.  A side effect to always being dehydrated is chapped lips.  Another thing I never leave home without.  The final IBD item in my purse is a pad.  Most girls have one in their purse, but mine is for butt leaks and not girlie times.

Then of course is the usual stuff in a purse.  I have my wallet with hopefully some cash, credit/debit cards, store discount cards, and the much needed insurance card and list of medications.  I carry my check book (dated I know), and a pen.  There is some gum and tissues.  There are business cards.  A must for any real estate agent.  Sometimes there is my cell phone, sometimes it never actually makes it into my purse.  Another thing I always have with me although not in my purse is water.

It sounds like a lot, but it isn't so much.  My purse is small for today's standards.  I've beginning to get used to carrying a purse after 10 years.  Although there are times I still leave it behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment