Friday, November 23, 2012

Time To Clean Out The Fridge


When I tell someone that I no longer have a colon they often ask what it is I eat.  The thing is is that it's not much different than when I was a healthy young teen before Ulcerative Colitis grabbed hold of me.

Shelf 1: You can see the top shelf is full of some colorful bowls.  I am making a cake for my mother-in-law's surprise 60th birthday party.  I can talk about it here because she doesn't get on the Internet.  I'm not a good baker, but I love decorating the cake.  It is a great stress reliever.  In the red container is a large bowl of stuffing for my husband's Thanksgiving left overs.  He can't leave home without it.

Shelf 2: This isn't as full as it usually is because of recent party nights, but this is our liquid shelf.  It is mostly my husband's drinks because I like my drinks at room temperature.  It's hard to see, but the whole back of the shelf is beer.  Like I said it's a little empty.  The front has my husband's creamer and Gatorade; two things I cannot stand.  And there is the always present salsa.

Shelf 3: More drinks and staple items.  This is the shelf with the tall drinks.  You can see my husband's ice tea and an unfinished water of his.  You can also see my almond milk in which I take the VSL#3DS located right next to it.  There are two more boxes behind it.  Next to that is some butter and some regular low fat milk behind the drinks.  I only use the low fat milk for cooking or the icing located on the top shelf.  I can no longer drink cow's milk without lots of gas and trips to the potty.

The Drawers:  These are also pretty empty.  One side has some left over apples from my husband's lunches. The other side is cheese sticks which are a great quick snack for me.  My pouch loves cheese, and it is something I hated prior to surgeries.  Goes to show sometimes tastes change with surgery.

The Door: I love condiments, so the door of the fridge is always full.  There are lots of dressings and marinades for meats to make them more tender.  There is hot sauce and horseradish because I like things spicy even after my takedown.  There is also a huge container of Parmesan cheese for my husband who eats more cheese than spaghetti on his spaghetti dinner.  The best thing is the bottle of Victory's Red Thunder beer.  A limited release beer released on Wednesday that combines a porter and red wine.  Yummy!

The Freezer: What's in the freezer is not that interesting mostly because it's usually pretty empty.  I have some gluten free waffles, some left overs that will never be touched, and some frozen meats for another day.   The interesting thing is what's on the front.  I never used to put stuff on the front of the fridge, but recently I've started.  There is our weekly menu and important phone numbers.  Mostly so my husband knows what to expect, but partly for me because I'm always forgetting what I bought to make for the week.  There is my gym schedule and recycling rules.  I didn't know recycling could be so difficult.  Then there are pictures of some people important to me.  Some people might recognize a picture or two.  There are also an unisperational picture from my inspirational kitty calendar.  It was too funny not to keep.

So now you see what's in my fridge and an opening into a little more about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment