Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Getting Through J-Pouch Surgery Without Losing Your Mind

There is no doubt that our mental health is tied to our physical health making it even more of a reason to focus not only on the physical body, but on our minds as well.  This is especially true during the long recovery of the j-pouch surgeries.  Many surgeons make us aware of the long path we will face, but we never truly appreciate how difficult it is until we are in the throws of it.  Here are my tips on how to cope with j-pouch recovery or any other long term health problem.

It takes a full year or more to get back to a sense of normality after the surgeries.  So why are we measuring our progress in days or weeks?  Early on the pouch is a volatile creature.  How it will react to something one day will be totally different than how it will react the next.  It can be very frustrating to newbies who are trying to learn the ropes.  The key is to keep trying new things and never totally cross something off the list.  Also measure your progress in months instead of days and weeks.  You will be sure to notice the improvements then and not be discouraged.  The number one thing I tell people as they go into the takedown surgery is to pack your patience.  You will need it.

Maintain a positive outlook by treating yourself.  It's important to take care of yourself during the difficult recovery.  Treats can come in many forms, and can be done no matter where you are on the recovery plane.  It can be something as simple as having someone wash your hair when you still can't do it for yourself to planning a vacation for the future.  Some of the things I did were paint my nails (something I don't do too often), bought a new outfit, and have some ice cream.

Get out of the house!  This can be very intimidating soon after surgery whether it's your first time with the ileostomy or learning your new plumbing with the j-pouch.  Start slow.  I remember when I came home after my colectomy not being able to leave my house because everyone worked during the week and I couldn't drive.  So just getting outside and walking up and down the block felt so nice.  I was only outside for about 5-10 minutes and I never went far from the house, so this is a great first step for someone who is scared of leaks or accidents.  As things progressed, I had a friend take me shopping.  I started with short trips then stayed out longer and longer as I felt more encouraged.

Relieve some stress.  What are your favorite stress relievers?  Stock up on them pre-surgery and keep them close by throughout your recovery.  Stress relief for me was as simple as watching trash TV, listening to music, playing with my kitties, and taking a nap.  Have a list close by so when your feeling like your on the brink you can have a reference map.  Sometimes it's hard to find ways to relax when your at the height of insanity.

Use your friends and family.  This was a hard one for me because I don't like to rely on other people.  But letting others cook you dinner, drive you around, get things for you when you have a hard time moving on your own.  Talk to them.  Share what you are going through.  It feels good just to get what is on your mind off your chest.

And don't forget to allow yourself to feel bad sometimes.  Many of us try so hard to cover our feelings and stuff down the pain.  It's good to let it out.  Have a cry or two or three.  It helps to let it out and move on instead of choking it in until you can't anymore.  It's okay to get down sometimes, but don't let it keep you down.  Remember: You will get through this and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment