Friday, November 16, 2012

I'm Gonna Wash My Bones In The Atlantic Shore


One of my favorite places to go is the beach.  The beach is so calming.  I can spend hours on the sand doing nothing but listening to music on my iPod and people watch.  In fact the beach is one of the top people watching spots in the world.

If you have ever gone to any of the beaches on the Atlantic coast specifically in Delaware and New Jersey you will find there are all types of people at the beach.  The beach is one place that people seem to leave their inhibitions behind.  It is here you will find that people come in all shapes and sizes and they are confident in who they are.  It is at the beach that I always become a little more comfortable in my skin.  This year I was even able to sport a bikini a few times to show off my scars.

The best part about the beach is the break from reality.  I don't know quite what is it about the beach, but time stops when you are there.  Nothing matters any more.  The only thing on the to do list is to go sit in the sand and watch the waves.  Time is abstract.  Breakfast is eaten at 10:00, lunch at 4:00, and dinner whenever.  The beach is the only time I am not obsessing about the clock.

Then there is something about the smell, sound, feel, and taste of the beach.  It reaches every sense to become part of you.  The smell of the salt water fills your lungs.  The food on the boardwalk constantly making your mouth water keeping you eating long after you are full.  The relaxing pounding of the waves followed by the cries of seagulls.  It is like a lullaby.  The warmth of the sun felt all over the body with the cooling ocean breeze.  The breeze brings with it the taste of salt in your mouth.  The beach is a whole new world waiting to be gulped in.

As I enter the ocean I can feel my worries wash away.  The calming waves carrying me up and down as I float in the sea.  The Atlantic Ocean washes my thoughts and fears away.  The ocean has always had a calming effect on my belly as well.  Even when I was sick at the beach the ocean would carry the pain away with the tides.  The picture above is the epitome of my beach experiences.  As the water rushes around me, it takes all the sorrows away in its pull back to the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment