Saturday, November 3, 2012

Discussions With A Colo-Rectal Surgeon

It is never fun going to the doctor.  It is difficult to try to talk to the doctor about your ailments while he is hurrying to his next appointment.  Dispite this I have had some interesting moments at my colorectal surgeon's office.

Not too long ago I was referred back to my colorectal surgeon because an MRI detected abscesses in my abdomen.  My GI doctor wanted me to check with a surgeon to see what the cause of the abscesses were.  After doing a thorough exam including a very invasive rectal exam (in which my surgeon wanted to discuss Memorial Day plans of going to the beach), he proceeded to tell me, "It's not coming from my end."

On another occasion, before I had the surgeries, I had the joy of having a colonoscopy at Jefferson Hospital which is a teaching hospital.  Think ER with Carter inserting a chest tube for the first time.  As I was wheeled into the procedure room a young looking doctor comes in and goes on to tell me that he will be performing my colonospopy today, and this is his first time doing so.  Don't worry he says, I will have others watching over in case there is a problem.  I guess he did a splendid job with the scope because I didn't die that day, but it was determined that I needed surgery.  Fast forward two months when I'm in the hospital room recovering from the colonectomy laying on my side with my rear facing the door.  In walks said young (remarkably handsome) doctor.  Without seeing my face he says, "Oh, I remember you!".  Should I have taken this as a compliment?

But in all reality many conversations with my doctors are more serious.  In fact, the reason I chose Dr. Isenberg to perform my surgeries was from the conversation I had with him during our surgery consult.  I came to my appointment with both my Mom and my husband along with a folder containing two pages full of questions.  Dr. Isenberg went through his usual speach about the surgery and asked if we had any questions.  I could see the look on his face when I whipped out my sheets.  He sat there and patiently answered each and every question.  For the questions he did not have answers for he was honest and either told me where I could find the answer or that there was no way to answer that question.  I felt like I was more prepared than the average person going into my surgery, and knew I was going to have someone who would listen to me during my follow-up care.  These conversations are the most meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment