Monday, February 6, 2012

1 Week

It's been one week since I started my new diet.  I have to admit I wasn't too good at sticking to it the first couple of days, but I have been faithful since Saturday.  I had a lot of left over food in the house that I didn't just want to get rid of such as regular waffles and lots of sugary junk food.

I made one modification to my diet.  I had a CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America) meeting on Thursday night.  The speaker was a pediatric GI doctor from CHOP who is also doing some research at Penn.  She is also a Crohn's patient, so she has lots of experience.  I spoke to her a bit about diet since that was a big part of her lecture.  She suggested eliminating one food group at a time.  I chose gluten and am just reducing the sugar intake for now.

This is now my typical day:
Breakfast:
  Gluten free waffle w/ sugar free fruit spread
  Almond milk w/ VSL #3DS
  Egg whites
  1 chewable multi-vitamin
Snack
  Lara Bar
  Viactive
Lunch
  Organic chicken breast
  Almond milk yogurt
  Fruit pouch
  1 Girl Scout cookie (my treat for the day)
Snack
  Rice crisps
Dinner (varies)
  I like a protein with well cooked veggies
Snack
  Almond milk fruit smoothie w/ VSL#3DS

I have noticed some promising improvements.  The first and best part is no more nighttime leakage.  This is by far the most embarrassing symptom of pouchitis.  Second is a reduction in gas.  I still get gassy after a meal, but I have not had the excruciating gas pains that have been plaguing me since takedown surgery.  And just today I've noticed a thickening of my poop.

This is all still so new, so I'm not sure how much is the food and how much is just my body.  I can go days feeling good, then have a set back and I'm straight back to the beginning.  This is promise though.

No comments:

Post a Comment