Friday, February 17, 2012

Birthdays and Blockages



In the hopes of living a normal life I sometimes forget that I am not normal.  My husband and I had tickets to go to Victory Brewing Company to celebrate their Sweet 16th birthday.  I was super excited to eat some good food, try the new chocolate beer they were unveiling, and yeah, spend some time with my husband.

The dinner was a five course dinner with beer pairings for each.  Since surgery, my stomach cannot hold as much as it could before, so a large meal can have its own share of problems.  Add in beer, gluten, and dairy I knew it was going to be a long, sleepless night.  But the experience was going to make it all worth while.

The meal and beer was delicious.  Chocolate beer is awesome!  I met some great people, and my husband won the grand prize give away of 15 Victory t-shirts.  For buying the tickets he let me pick out 3 for myself.  One thing I did not do was drink any water the entire evening.  Towards the end of the night, I started to feel a bit queasy.  I chalked it up to some indigestion for eating and drinking too much.  We went home, chilled for a bit, then went to bed.  I was still a bit nauseous.  I was up and down most of the night pooping which I expected.

The next morning I got up still feeling a bit sick.  I ate a small breakfast (cereal & almond milk).  My stomach immediately started to heave & ho.  Ugh...I thought I'd be feeling better by now.  I start to feel the pain shortly after arriving at work.  The pain is just below the stoma scar, a great place for blockages.  I immediately start drinking as much water as possible to help with the dehydration and push whatever is stuck through.

I'm still pooping as normal, so I eat a light lunch.  I'm still not real hungry.  I eat some chicken, applesauce, and a cookie.  Now the waves of pain begin.  Stuck at work, there's not much I can do.  I keep chugging the water hoping that will help.  I have some gas, poop a little more and think maybe things are gone now.

By the time I get home, I have no more pain and am ready for dinner.  We're having the gourmet meal of hamburger helper (one of my husband's favorites).  This does not sit well at all.  The pain immediately comes back and I'm doubling over with each spasm.  I poop again.  Thank goodness I'm still pooping.  It's yoga night, so off I go.  Worst case scenario, I can't do the poses.  Best case, I work whatever is there loose.

I decided not to eat the rest of the night, kept pounding the water, and rested.  Though scared to eat the following morning, I was beginning to feel better.  I had another light breakfast which sat nicely.  Fortunately, this was just a baby blockage.  It is just another reminder that my plumbing is not what it used to be.  I may want to be like everyone else, but I have my limitations.  I can still go out and have fun, but I can't indulge like my younger days.

No comments:

Post a Comment