Friday, January 13, 2012

A Typical Day

Before I can really let you know day to day events, I should let you know what a typical day is like for me.  I'm choosing to use a weekday because they are more structured, so here goes:
5:20a - The alarm goes off.  I generally have to use the bathroom to pee, but of course a little poop always comes out.
6:30a - I eat breakfast.  It typically involves plain oatmeal with hot water or Kashi 7-grain waffle with fruit spread, egg white,  chocolate almond milk with VSL#3 DS (a prescription probiotic to help with the pouchitis), and a chewable multi-vitamin.  I can't drink cow's milk or soy milk, so I choose almond milk because I like the flavor.
7:00a - My first poop urge of the day, so I go before I leave for work.
8:00a - I arrive at work and eat a Viactive and Luna mini bar.  Sometimes I have some coffee or tea.
9:00a - Another trip to the bathroom to poop.
11:00a - Bathroom trip again to poop.
12:00n - Time for lunch.  My favorite is Ellio's Pizza (my pouch loves pizza), a fruit squeeze (baby food in a pouch), and tapioca pudding.  Sometimes I'll throw in a piece of chocolate.  I follow this with my Cipro (antibiotic) and a digestive enzyme.
12:30p - In the bathroom again with mostly gas, but always a little poop too.
3:30 or 4:00p - Time to go poop again!
5:30 or 6:30p - Gas starts setting in.  I'm uncomfortable and need to go to the bathroom because it's never just gas.
6:30p - Dinner time!  Dinner is always different, but I like to eat healthy.  Followed with a digestive enzyme.
7:00p - Another potty trip for some loud gas and poop.
7:15p - Almond milk smoothie with some fruit and VSL#3 DS.  Sometimes I also have a cookie, beacuase I love sweets!
8:00p - Chew some Pepto Bismal if needed.  Go to the bathroom; another poop.  Take a shower or bath depending on how burned up my bum is.  Then some Gas-X to combat any overnight gas.
11:00p - Poop before bed.
1:00a - First overnight poop.
3:00a - Second overnight poop.

All told I go to the bathroom or poop 12 times a day.  This is an average, so some days are more and some days are less.  My goal is to get down to 6-8 times a day.

2 comments:

  1. how long have you been on cipro? Reading your meals your breakfast is a great start but I can say by lunch time my pouch would be not liking those foods. I've had to truly deprive myself to get where I am today. I used to have a similar schedule to yours but since I eliminated most of the sweets it has been a amazing turnaround. If you dont mind sharing, What is your diet looking like now? and medications? I have been off all medications for 4 years now.

    Daily I take this from my local natural store whole food complex multivitamin, probiotic, keufir, fish oil, and digestive enzymes with every meal or snack. I switched out coffee for green and herbal tea just 1 cup in the morning and at bedtime I drink lavendar, chamomile tea. I limit my intake of sugar, sodium. I drink at least 1 coconut water everyday. It has been a lifesaver for my dehydration. I also love chocolate so once a month around the time the devil takes over my body I have an organic dark chocolate bar on hand. Its crazy never before my surgery I felt any symptoms during my menstration, but Im learning to manage that like a teenager. I keep this moto in my brain when choosing foods. "If it doesnt have a mother and doesnt come from the ground dont eat it" I wish you the best of luck in your journeys and thanks again for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been seriously considering eliminating sugar from my diet. It's going to be a big leap for me though. Between my last hospitalization and first surgery I went on a total clean eating diet. I didn't help with UC symptoms, but gave me a better respect for the food I do eat. On the up side, I've only had one true period since surgery, so I don't have that to deal with!

    ReplyDelete