Saturday, January 14, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Suds

The event actually happened last week, but it was a big step for me.  My friend and I went to Victory Brewing Company for their girl's night out called Girls Just Wanna Have Suds.  It was a beer and chocolate pairing.  What could be more fun than that?

Well for those with Ulcerative Colitis or a J-pouch beer and chocolate spell trouble.  Typically alcohol will slow my frequency down, but beer poses the problem of carbonation leading to gas.  Chocolate is filled with sugar which can cause increased frequency.  This was going to be a big test for the pouch.

So off I go to meet my friend.  When we arrive they give us a glass of pilsner.  We took our time sipping on the beer until snacks.  We munched a bit until it was time for the pairings.  Four beers to go with four chocolates.  A girl's dream come true.  The pairings were great.  One of my favorites is below.  It was the most unique with Dark Intrigue (a stout beer aged in bourbon barrels) and Fortunato No. 4 Traditional Truffle (made from a newly discovered cocoa plant).

The night was a great.  I had fun with all the girls and a great time helping my friend plan her baby's first birthday party.  I only had to use the bathroom twice.  Part of that had to do with testing out so many beers.  As you can see there was a lot to test.

I was worried the overnight hours would be a disaster.  It was a Monday night, and this could ruin my whole week.  When I came home I had some Gas-X and some Pepto to calm the gurgles.  It was a restless night without much of a deep sleep.  I was up often.  I think more out of the fear of possible leakage than anything else.  Besides being a little dehydrated the next morning and awfully tired, the night was a success.  One night of beer and chocolate for dinner did not prove to be too much for my pouch.

1 comment:

  1. We will have to do it again soon to give your pouch some practice! Glad it didn't wreak too much havok!

    ReplyDelete