Sunday, January 15, 2012

Butt Burn

Since I'm having a difficult day and suffering from butt burn, I thought I'd describe this to those that have been lucky to never have to experience it.  Since I do not have a colon any longer, I have nothing to absorb the stomach acids (and water) back into my body.  When I poop all these stomach acids come out.  The more often I poop, the more stomach acids come out.  Add patting with toilet paper continuously to the acid and you get butt burn.  Below is a picture of diaper rash, but it is one and the same.

For me, butt burn can range anywhere from just some redness to bleeding blisters.  The best way to treat butt burn is  not yo get it in the first place.  Bidets are another way to help prevent butt burn.  Bidets eliminate the need to wipe with toilet paper reducing any friction against your rear.  I do not have a bidet, so toilet paper it is with me.  The type of toilet paper can make a big difference.  I prefer Charmin Ultra Strong.  I try to avoid the one-ply sandpaper they try to pass as toilet paper in public bathrooms at all costs.

Though I try to prevent butt burn as much as possible, it always rears its ugly head.  So now for the treatment.  I start with a bath in shallow water with epsom salts.  This is a GREAT relief until I get out.  Since it's not ideal that I spend my whole day in the tub, I need something else.  I prefer to use Calmoseptine.  This is a cream made from calamine, zinc oxide and menthol.  I apply it over the burned area and leave it on overnight.  Sometimes I need to apply a few times before the burn is gone.  Calmoseptine is my pink heaven.  It is cooling and soothing.  Think of putting Vick's Vapor Rub on your tush.

Now it's time to take some more pink stuff called Pepto Bismol.

2 comments:

  1. BTW I love your blog!! Great job. I have never used any of those oitments because they are so uncomfortable. I have had my pouch for 10 years now and just about everytime I use the restroom I have a cup of hot water, as hot as you can stand, to rinse my bottom. It works wonders. I brings all your red blood cells to the surface and knocks out the pain elimitating butt burn. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know these are older blogs, but just thought I'd share my 'ointment gold.' Although, it is uncomfortable to put on (read scorching pain) it calms things down. My surgeon prescribed it and it is pricey. C-Cholestyramine 10% ointment.

    As for the bidet recommendation, my husband had offered to get me one before but we never did. Just today we began talking about getting a diaper sprayer for cloth diapers that hooks to the toilet. (I'm 37 weeks pregnant) As I google bidets, it occurs to me that it is basically the same idea as a diaper sprayer! Now I wonder which one I will get and am excited about the benefits not just for future cloth diaper cleaning but for me personally!

    ReplyDelete