Wednesday, January 18, 2012

No Eating Past 7

No one told me I'd turn into a Mogwai after surgery, but that is what happened.  I cannot eat after midnight or I turn into a gremlin.  Not the whole me, just my belly.  And it's not even as late as midnight.  It can be as early as 7:00 pm depending on what it is I want to eat.

Last night I had a meeting for my homeowner's association of which I'm the Vice President.  The management company was taking us out for dinner to celebrate working together during a difficult year.  In order to get all of the business out of the way, we had to meet before dinner.  Uh-oh.  Luckily the meeting went smooth.

Off we go to meet again at a local restaurant, Ruffini's, which specializes in Italian and take-out sandwiches.  We all arrive at 8:15 pm.  My mind is racing.  It's too late to eat a dinner.  I search the menu for anything light that will be tummy friendly.  It's impossible.  Who has heard of light Italian?  As everyone orders lasagna, stuffed tilipia, chicken parm, I order a grilled cheese sandwich.  What?!  Boy the looks I got, but I thought, "Hey cheese slows me down, bread slows me down.  Bingo!".  I threw in a Key Lime Martini to help reduce motility.  I'm supposed to be celebrating remember.

By 9:00 pm when the dinner arrives I'm famished.  I eat it all without thinking.  I soon have regrets realizing what I've done.

10:00 pm I arrive home.  I'm beat, but it's time to clean up for bed.  I've got to help slow my stomach down as well.  I take some pepto and some GasX.  I'm ready for bed by 11:00 pm, and I hop on in.  By midnight I feel the first rumblings.  It's time to get up.  Off to the bathroom I go.  A few minutes later it's back to bed.  1:00 am I'm up again.  So that's how my night goes.  I'm up every hour.  Why is it that your stomach can be so active even when you're not eating?  This I will never understand.

So try as I might to be a regular old Joe, I have my limitations.  The surgeon transplanted a gremlin in my belly.

2 comments:

  1. With my jpouch and just as much as with my ostomy, I try not to eat past six. I can now with little ramifications on non ostomy appliance change days so in that respect i guess its a little easier for me now to push the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the blog. I am three week post-op, learning how to live with my j-pouch. The "getting-up-every-hour-or-face-the-consequences" routine is exhausting to say the least. I can't seem to find a "rhythm" yet. Anytime, it seems I'm going 5-10 times once my body is ready to digest is unavoidable. Anyway, nice to read/hear from someone with the same symptoms. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete