Friday, March 23, 2012

I'm an Old Lady at 34

I knew 30 was old, but I didn't know I'd feel this old.  I remember when I had my knee surgery in my early 20's my surgeon told me I'd most likely have arthritis in my knee in the next 10 years.  At the time 10 years seemed like the long distant future.  Now it's 10 years later and I not only have arthritis in that knee, but the other knee, my ankles, and my hips. The arthritis is mostly likely related to the IBD and not the surgery, but now I wake up every morning with sore legs.  Some days are better than others.  Most days I just need a little time to get up to speed, but some days I  need to take some Tylenol.

About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with osteopenia.  I'm too scared to get another bone scan to see if it has progressed.  Years of malnutrition and prednisone slowly ate away my bones so no matter how much Calcium and Vitamin D I took in could help.  When I think of osteoporosis, I think of little old women.  Isn't that what all the commercials show?

The biggest sign that I'm old is I'm tired ALL of the time.  When I say I'm tired, I don't just mean I want to sit down and relax.  I mean if I sit down I will be asleep within the next 15 minutes.  I have fallen asleep at work and even while sitting in traffic.  On Wednesday I fell asleep in the chair at 7:00 pm. Yes, the sun was still out and small children were playing outside.  If I'm not moving, I'm sleeping.

When I picture myself with how I feel I see my grandmother.  I loved her dearly, but she was old.  She was a little old lady with thin, wrinkly skin, a slightly hunched back, and ankles that cracked with each step.  At 34 I'm my grandmother except with brown hair instead of gray.


No comments:

Post a Comment